Methyl Ricinoleate has potential to be used as a fuel additive to enhance performance of environmentally-friendly fuels. As part of ongoing research efforts on biodiesel fuels, Methyl Ricinoleate (biodiesel from the castor plant) has been tested as a potential lubricity additive for petroleum diesel. Its hydroxyl molecular structure is unique among plant oils and it burns cleanly along with petroleum diesel in truck and tractor engines. Castor oil is converted to methyl ricinoleate by treatment with methyl alcohol.
|PARAMETERS ||SPECIFICATIONS |
|Synonyms||RICINOLEIC ACID METHYL ESTER, METHYL ESTER OF RICINOLEIC ACID |
|CAS No.||141 - 24 - 2|
|Formula ||C19-H36-O3-CH3(CH2)5-CH(OH)CH2-CH=CH(CH2)7COOCH3 |
|Purity ||Min. 85% Ricinoleate by GC |
|Description ||Pale yellow to Dark Yellow Liquid |
|Acid Value ||5.0 Max.|
|Saponification Value ||175 - 182 |
|Iodine Value ||78 - 88|
|Hydroxyl Value ||160 - 172 |
|Colour-Gardner ||5 Max|
|Specific Gravity@ 250C ||0.918-0.926 |
|Solubility@ 250C ||Soluble in most organic solvents such as mineral Spirits, tolune,methyl ethyl ketone, glycol ethers, butyl acetate,Ethyl Alcohol etc.,|
Insoluble in water.
|Moisture(K.F) ||0.25% Max.|
|Flash point 0C ||215 |
|Fire Point 0C ||230 |
- Lubrication : Direct Lubricants, lubricity additive for mineral oil bases, industrial lubricants, cutting oils, soluble oils, metal working compounds, alcohol based fuel lubricant mixtures, dielectric liquids in high performance capacitors.
- Used in upper cylinder lubricants as highly effective detergent for removal of carbon,as an oiliness agent in transmission oil and lubricant gas mixture for two cycle engines.
- Plastcisation: The plasticizing effect is identified with natural and synthetic resins such as vinyls, phenolics, polyvinyl butyral, rosin and its esters are used as direct lubricants but` their properties enable use as lubricity additives for mineral oil bases ; high melting point wax-like systems and water soluble wide selectivity is available, the choice depending on viscosity; compatibility; stability and wear qualities, low temperature plasticizer for rubber polymers; produces low durometer stock, lubricant-plasticizer in phenolic ; molding resins; plasticizer for epoxy resin systems.
- Alkyl ricinoleates and alkyl 12-hydroxy stearates such as methyl ricinoleate are important ingredients in various cosmetics and toiletries.
- Methyl Ricinoleate are widely used as direct Lubricant, surface wetting agent and emulsification agent after little modification. They are also used for manufacturing Spray oils, cutting oils and soluble oils
- Some microorganisms can transform methyl ricinoleate into -decalactone, a valuable aroma compound.
- Methyl ricinoleate has potential to be used as a fuel additive to enhance performance of environmentally friendly fuels.
- As part of ongoing research efforts on biodiesel fuels, methyl ricinoleate (biodiesel from the castor plant) has been tested as a potential lubricity additive for petroleum diesel.
- Its hydroxyl molecular structure is unique among plant oils and it burns cleanly along with petroleum diesel in truck and tractor engines. These tests all consistently
- supported the use of this biodiesel additive.Used in ethyl cellulose, nitrile rubber, nitrous and polyvinyl butyral lacquers.
- Used as a plasticiser in several industries such as phenolic moulding resins, spray resin systems, rubber polymers etc
- used as dispersing agent, Emulsion stabilizer, conditioning agent, emollient in personal care products.
- Used as a plasticizers in pharmaceuticals industries & as perfumery chemicals in cosmetic industries.
- Used in several lubricating formulations, cutting oils and gear oils, motor fuels, cylinder lubricants etc.
- In Mild Steel, Plastic Drums /FCL Lots and Loose in ISO Tanks.
- Packed in 190 kg HMHDPE (plastic) drums.
- Each FCL can take 80 drums of Methyl Ricinoleate.
- An ISO tank can take between 18 to 20 tons of Methyl Ricinoleate.